A Travel Authorization Form must be filled out and funds encumbered for travel, including travel for field trips. Undergraduate students do not need to process a Travel Authorization. A list of the names of the undergraduate students will need to be attached to the Travel Authorization of the ISU employee that is accompanying the students. All graduate students that are traveling will have to have their own Travel Authorization.

Prior to taking any field trips, a report should be filed with the Department Chairperson by the faculty or staff member organizing the field trip. The report should state where they are going, the number of students participating, the person in charge, the purpose of the trip, the departure date and time, and the anticipated time of return. It is the Department Chairperson's responsibility to forward these reports to Sherry O'Neal in the Office of Risk Management for insurance auditing purposes.

Field trips are covered under the University's Group Accident Policy. This is an excess plan with a limit of $25,000 per person, which is designed to cover only eligible expenses not reimbursed after the student's other insurer(s) has made payment first.

Non-University personnel and students should have their own accident insurance. Faculty, staff, and graduate students are covered under Workers' Compensation while performing duties related to the University.