Center for Community Engagement
Indiana State University
Tirey Hall 136A
Terre Haute, Indiana 47809
The Center for Community Engagement connects Indiana State University to the community. We coordinate and support opportunities for faculty and students to learn and serve with community partners throughout the Wabash Valley and beyond.
Our goals are to:
- Assist area nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and private industry and business to develop links with Indiana State University students and faculty;
- Create out-of-class learning experiences, including internships and service-learning, for ISU's students and faculty; and
- Encourage and coordinate student, faculty, and employee volunteerism and service to the Wabash Valley.
Accomplishment of these goals improves the greater good of both the University and the Wabash Valley community.
What is Community Engagement?
Community engagement is the development of collaborative partnerships between education, business, social services, and government that contribute to the academic mission of the University and directly benefit the community. Examples of community engagement activities include:
- Technical assistance and applied research to help increase understanding of a local or regional problem or test solutions for that problem
- Lectures, seminars, and other public forums that provide a neutral place to explore community issues
- Extension of learning beyond the University walls and into the community
- Enriching the cultural life of the community
- Service, including internships and service-learning, which directly benefits the public
- Economic development initiatives, including technology transfer and support for small businesses
- Involvement of community members in planning and decision making activities of the University
- Community engagement encompasses activities in the teaching, research, and service endeavors of faculty, students, and staff
The Annual report is a snapshot of community engagement at Indiana State. It is impossible to capture the full scope of our community engagement activities in a single publication. If you are interested in learning more about any of our engagement activities, please contact us.
2012-2013 Annual Report