Undergraduate Research in Chemistry

Chemistry majors are strongly encouraged to gain research experience by working one-on-one with a faculty member on a research project. CHEM 399 or 499 credit can be obtained for this work, and many students are employed as paid research assistants throughout the academic year and summer. The following are some of the potential benefits of a research experience:

Resume builder: There's a lot of competition out there, whether you want a job in industry, plan to continue with graduate study, or seek admission to a professional program. Distinguish yourself from the rest with some research experience.

Elective Credits: Advanced elective credits are required to obtain a chemistry degree. CHEM 499 (Introduction to Research) can contribute up to four of these credits.

Scholarships: A portion of the scholarship money in chemistry is used to award students who demonstrate a commitment to the research programs of the Department.

Travel: ISU students have presented their undergraduate research at the National American Chemical Society meeting each spring. All agree that the experience was one of the highlights of their undergraduate career.

For more information: Check out these FAQs or the list of available chemistry research projects. Students interested in getting involved in a research project should contact the faculty investigator for the project or an academic advisor.


Contact Information
Jennifer Inlow, Chairperson

Department of Chemistry and Physics
600 Chestnut Street
Science Building, Room 035
Indiana State University
Terre Haute, IN 47809

Office: Science 035
Phone: 812-237-2239
Fax: 812-237-2232

Office: Science 165
Phone: 812-237-2239
Fax: 812-237-4396

Office Hours
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

Driving Directions