Indiana Child Welfare Scholars Program
The Indiana Child Welfare Scholars Program is designed to provide special course work and enhanced practicum experiences that lead to employment as a public child welfare worker in the state of Indiana. Students who participate in the program will receive financial support through the Department of Child Services and will graduate with a commitment for employment with the Department. To be eligible students must be enrolled in the BSW Program.
Each student selected to participate in the program will receive full in-state tuition and mandatory fees during the duration of participation while maintaining full-time status (12 credit hour minimum), and a 2.5 overall GPA with a 3.0 GPA in the social work program.
NOTE: The ability to access student financial aid will be affected by this program.
Each student will be awarded $2,000.00 per fall and spring semester to assist with the cost of training expenses during the course of the program, as required by the Indiana Child Services Education Program.
Program participants will have a commitment to work for the agency for a pre-determined number of months post-graduation.
Applicants will need to submit an application to the program. Following are the minimum requirements for admission to the program:
· Minimum overall grade point average of 2.5 and grade point average of 3.0 in social work.
· Minimum of three semesters remaining before graduation.
· Interview with social work faculty and representatives of the Department of Child Services.
Applicants will be evaluated on:
- A written application describing the student’s interest in the Indiana Child Services Education Program
- Three professional or academic references
- Academic Performance
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Volunteer experience
Applications for the BSW Child Welfare Scholars Program are accepted during the fall semester of the junior year.
Required BSW courses
- SOWK 301 - must be taken in the spring of the junior year before funding begins
- SOWK 401 – must be taken in the fall of the senior year
Required GPA for BSW Child Welfare Scholars
- BSW students must earn a B or higher in SOWK 301 and SOWK 401
- Students must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Students must maintain a minimum SOWK GPA of 3.0
For more information about the Child Welfare Scholars Program or to request an application, contact the Department of Social Work at Indiana State University to speak with the Program Coordinator – 812.237.3611
For more information contact Robin Bonifas or 812.237.3428