College of Business students receive program of study information in the Student Services Office. Sophomores and a few upperclassmen are advised by the academic advisors Director Judith Brewer; Assistant Director Tamara Turner; and Student Services Assistant Anita Adams in the Student Services Office. The SSO is located in Federal Hall, Room 124 of the Scott College of Business.
Freshmen students are advised in the University College and Upperclassmen are assigned a faculty advisor prior to their junior year.
Expectations of Students
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor at least once a semester and come prepared with questions.
- Prepare for advising appointments by reviewing your MySAM, requirements, and course offerings.
- Monitor your academic progress and degree requirements.
- Check your email regularly and respond when necessary.
- Be familiar with university policies and procedures.
- Acquaint yourself with campus resources and services.
- Seek assistance before a situation becomes a crisis.
- Research and discuss internships, study abroad, summer courses, and experiential opportunities.
- You may struggle in some classes. Take advantage of office hours, help and study sessions, supplemental instruction, and tutoring.
- Develop short term and long term educational and career goals.
Expectations of Advisors
- Establish a good welcoming relationship with students.
- Discuss students' strengths, interests, skills, and abilities.
- Help students to explore areas of study and interpret degree requirements.
- Help students learn policies and procedures crucial to navigating the university.
- Explain curriculum requirements. prerequisites, and help students plan a course of study.
- Provide a safe environment for students to share questions, concerns, and interests.
- Assist with long term and short term goal setting.
- Discuss students' academic performance and implications.
- Inform students of the advising process.
- Encourage students to advocate for themselves.
Student Services Office Reminders
Scott College of Business Admissions (COBA) - Core Critical Path. This can also be downloaded as a PDF.